Aminath Shafia (PhD)
Dr Shafia was appointed as the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry in January 2019. Her professional career started as an ‘Agriculturist’ after completing a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture from the University of South Pacific followed by a Master’s Degree in Plant Pathology, from University of Sydney, Australia. She continued her academic career and graduated with a Master of Science in Environmental Biology from University of Guelph, Canada and completed her Doctor of Philosophy in Plant Science from the University of Reading, UK in 2009.
Dr Shafia first joined the Ministry of Agriculture and continued working in the Ministry which led her into strategic engagement in emerging issues of climate change and food systems management. With 25 years of experience, she has extensive knowledge in agriculture policy, planning and management. Her exposure into development and management comes from her experience in coordinating for International Development Agencies such as IFAD and FAO as well as her 25+ years of experience in the Government. In the latter half of her career, she was engaged in policy and planning of food systems.
As the Head of the Civil Service for the Ministry she is responsible for the management of the human and financial resources to deliver the Government’s policies to improve the life and wellbeing of fisheries, marine resources and agriculture communities and businesses outline in the Strategic Action Plan. She is committed to implement the programs efficiently and effectively. Her work is undertaken according to Maldivian Civil Service Code of Conduct upholding honesty, impartiality, honesty and integrity.
Before her appointment as the Permanent Secretary, she served as the Director General of Agriculture and in several senior management roles of the Ministry.
Throughout her career she has been people oriented and worked closely with the team focusing on empowering staff to make the best use of their talent and qualification.
1. The Permanent Sectary is responsible for the formulation and implementation of policies, strategies and projects outlined in the official mandate of the Ministry.
2. The Permanent Secretary is responsible for assisting and advising the Minister on issues in which the minister is accountable.
3. The Permanent Secretary is responsible for managing all affairs of the Ministry.
4. The Permanent Secretary is responsible for strengthening and sustaining a transparent and accountable working environment to motivate and encourage all employees to work efficiently and effectively.
5. Responsible for recruitment and strengthening the human resource capacity within the Ministry.
6. The designated Permanent Secretary must fulfill the responsibility under Public Finance Act regulation [No: -3/2006].
7. The Permanent Secretary must be responsible for improving the skill sets of employees, by supporting innovative ideas, best practices and new technologies to enhance their performance and output delivery.
8. As a member of the Advisory Board of the Civil Services the Permanent Secretary must support and advise the management of the Civil Services system.
9. At the end of each calendar year, the Permanent Secretary is responsible for compiling the annual report consisting of all activities carried out in the Ministry. The report must be submitted to the Minister for timely submission to the Parliament.
10. Permanent Sectary is responsible all assigned duties under the Law and Regulation of Maldives Civil Servants.