Experienced in the fields of Diplomacy, Demography and Development. Worked in leadership positions in wide ranging areas from mobilising and directing international aid for national social and economic development, managing and coordinating donor funded development projects at the national and local levels, large-scale data collection and analysis and national development planning. Experienced in working with international bilateral and multi-lateral agencies in the development of country programmes for assistance and ensuring that the activities identified are undertaken as scheduled following the principles of Results Based Management. Well exposed in the field of socio-economic development both at the national level, as well as regional and international level.
*Key Skills and attributes*
- Experienced in diplomacy and international relations, including bilateral and multi-lateral negotiations and diplomacy.
- Track record of aid mobilization and aid coordination relating to development projects and programmes.
- Excellent understanding of development problems of rapidly urbanizing populations, small widely dispersed populations and disadvantaged communities.
- Proven record in delivering high quality output in optimal time
- Experienced in the application of Results Based Management technique.
- Vast technical knowledge of development issues in the broad area of population and development and particularly in the field of socio-economic development and poverty alleviation.
- Excellent track record in planning, directing large-scale data collection operations such as census and surveys.
- Demonstrated skills in the analysis of population and social statistics using statistical programmes such as SPSS, Mortak and People and interpreting analytical outcomes to draw policy inputs.
- Proven ability to direct, supervise, influence, mentor and motivate others to set and achieve a desired objective.
- Drive and desire to acquire new knowledge and skills through experience, study or through continuous learning.
- Get along well with people from different backgrounds.
- Proven ability to convey information in both verbal and written formats as appropriate for the needs of the target audience.
- High level of ability to adjust to different environments, both in life and at the workplace, and a positive attitude to welcome and manage change.
- Ability to work with new technology and demonstrate proficiency with work related computer programs.
Secretary 2022 – Present
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of
High Commissioner 2020 – 2022
High Commission of the Republic of Maldives to the
Republic of India, New Delhi.
Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal
Non-Resident Ambassador (Designate)
Kingdom of Bhutan
Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
Azerbaijan Republic 2020 - Present
Permanent Representative to IRENA 2019 – 2020
International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA),
Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
Ambassador 2017 – 2020
Embassy of the Republic of Maldives to the United
Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi.
Additional Secretary 2014 - 2017
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Maldives
Minister, Deputy Head of Mission 2012 - 2014
High Commission of Maldives to Sri Lanka
Additional Secretary 2010 - 2012
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Maldives
Director, Demography, April, 1994 to January 2003
(study leave of three and half years from April 1997 to December 2000)
Deputy Director, Demography, April 1992 to April 1994
Assistant Director, Demography, Jan 1990 to Apr 1992
Demographic Statistician, Grade II, Sept 1986 to Feb 1989
Senior Statistician, July 1982 to Sept 1985
Statistician, March 1980 to June 1981
Statistical Clerk, Jan 1979 to March 1979
Ph.D., (Demography and Development), The University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand - 2001
M.A., (Demography), The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia 1991
Diploma in Demographic Statistics, International Statistical Programs Centre, United States Bureau of the Census, Washington D.C., U.S.A - 1986
Certificate in Population Studies, International Institute for Population Studies, Bombay, India - 1981
Certificate in Statistics, International Statistical Education Centre, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, India - 1979